The association of the aeronautical radio research institute Oberpfaffenhofen (FFO), founded on June 22nd, 1937, dealt with the main topics: Technology and procedures for positioning, communication and navigation with electromagnetic waves. The founding members of FFO eV:
- Adolf Baeumker - Head of the research department of the Reich Aviation Ministry, Berlin
- Walter Georgii - German Research Institute for Gliding (DFS eV), Darmstadt
- Erich Hilligardt - Airship construction Zeppelin, Darmstadt
- Karl Schmid - C. Lorenz Aktiengesellschaft, Berlin Tempelhof
- Richard Strauss - C. Lorenz Aktiengesellschaft, Berlin Tempelhof
- Oskar Muller - German Research Institute for Aviation (DVL eV), Berlin Adlershof
- Herrmann Brenner - German Research Institute for Aviation (DVL eV), Berlin Adlershof
- Rolf Stüssel - Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Berlin
- Karl Rottgardt - Telefunken Ges. Für wireless Telegraphie mbH, Berlin
- Albert Pietzsch - Head of the Reich Chamber of Commerce
The FFO eV in World War II
With the onset of World War II, however, the association had to dissolve its purpose.
After the end of the war, the Allies banned all aviation activities in Germany. In May 1951, the Allies allowed gliding again - whereupon at Munich-Riem Airport, scientists with Sperling, Elster and two gliders started again where the German Research Institute for Glider Flight (DFS) had stopped due to the war. In the same year, work began to rebuild the aeronautical research institutes DFL and DVL for aeronautical radio research in the Munich area for the purpose of air traffic safety and equipment testing for federal air traffic control.
Three years later, in 1954, powered flight and the associated research were again permitted in Germany. With the help of the transport and economics ministers of North Rhine-Westphalia and Bavaria, the former FFO e. V. brought back to life.
Continuation of the FFO at Riem Airport
The second general meeting of the FFO on September 1st, 1954 resolved the provisional reconstruction of the research institute in Munich-Riem, Hans-Joachim Zetzmann was appointed managing director and acting institute director.
Shortly afterwards, the FFO eV set up the research institute on the upper floor of the airport operations building in component V.
In the following two years, the institute researched innovative components and systems for the applications of high frequency technology in aviation for communication, positioning and navigation.
Relocation to Oberpfaffenhofen and integration into DLR
On October 28, 1956 the aeronautical radio research institute moves back to Oberpfaffenhofen to its roots. Dr. Ulbricht becomes head of the institute. At the beginning of 1960 the FFO was strategically integrated into the DVL (German Research Institute for Aviation) in Mühlheim / Ruhr, which in 1969 was incorporated into the German Research and Research Institute for Aerospace (DFVLR). In 1989 the DFVLR becomes German Aerospace Center "(DLR) renamed.