Originally, the Munich-Riem Airport, including the impressive reception hall, also known as the Wappenhalle, was to be officially opened on September 1st, 1939 - but this was prevented by the simultaneous start of the Second World War.
After the end of the war, 70%s at the airport were destroyed, and the coat of arms hall was also badly damaged. For example, the roof of the coat of arms hall with the valuable coffered ceiling collapsed. In the absence of a functioning check-in hall, the passenger check-in took place in the temporarily renovated Wappenhalle.
On June 16, 1951, the renewed and modernized coat of arms hall could finally be opened as a pure reception hall. Two wide stairs lead from the hall to the terrace and to the balcony on the south side, which was opened to visitors on the same day.
For the first time, passengers accompanying the passengers are given the opportunity to walk from the reception hall via the new and old balconies to the control tower and from there to follow the passenger handling process from start to finish